Sunday, February 26, 2012

Buying Speed

I got the tri bike a year ago.  I got the aero helmet a month ago.  What else will buy me speed (other than the engine)?  Ah yes: Race Wheels!  But first the week:

Swim:
14,000 yards, 4 swims, 5:35, Almost 8 miles of swimming.  3 days over 2M.  Felt kinda tired near the end of the week (duh!).  Pretty good week for me.

Bike
93.1 miles, 2 rides, 4:42, plus 1 hr on the Y trainer.  Had to ride in the early am both Saturday and Sunday.  Saturday was cold at 37 degrees, rode Kensington.  Sunday was brutally cold at 27 deg.  Thought I was prepared for it, but had some shivers even 30 and 40M in.  Sunday rode up around the airport.

Run
21 miles, 3 runs, 2:32.  Ran 8M each Saturday and Sunday afternoon.  Felt kinda tired both days (felt the effects of the morning rides).  Even so ran 7:10's on Saturday and 7:15's on Sunday.

Totals
122.1 miles, 10 workouts, 13:49 Good amount of time!

I'm sure everyone has been following the developments over the last few months (?years) of this startup company trying to bring cheap aero wheels to the triathlon market.


FLO Cycling was created by two brothers who were looking to start their own business and got the idea of aero wheels because they did triathlons.  Basically they are aluminum rims with carbon fairings.  Either 60mm or 90mm as well as a rear disc.  They are of the newer wide shape and not the 'V' shape.

Luckily I got my bonus from work earlier in the month and had the money to spend (?blow) on a set of wheels.  I decided on a set of 60/90's.  They had a special launch last Thursday.  You saved $100 on a set and got an extended 3 year warranty by ordering in the first 4 hours.  The biggest kicker is the delivery.  Roughly the first 200 people to order can expect to get their wheels in early June.  The next 200 in early July, and so on and so forth.

So the mad dash on Thursday crashed their server instantly.  I managed to get my order through, but it took almost 15 minutes.  I was order # 312.

FRONT 60




REAR 90
I opted for the Stealth Green stickers.  As you know, my B16 is green.  I showed my kids the regular green sticker and these stealth ones.  Both kids like the stealth, so I went with that.  I have not found out yet when I should expect to see my wheels.  I'm hoping that I will be in that first delivery group.  The rumor is that the first order is 129, which means I would actually be the 183rd person to place an order. Assuming that everyone ahead of me orders an average of 2 wheels I should be in the first group.   I heard some people ordered 1 and some ordered 3.  

How will it look on my Felt?  Pretty close to this:


Now that looks simply Hot! I'm pretty stoked about it.  Now I have to get some tires.  There have been a lot of threads on ST lately about that.  I'm leaning toward the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX.  FLO tested in Michelin Pro Race 3's.  Anyways, I'll be riding in style at Augusta!