Thursday, January 18, 2018

2018 Goals Thread

It's been a while since I made a yearly goals post.  For the last few years, my goals have been much more focused.  I mean I used to make training goals to swim, bike, and run a certain amount of miles or yards.  I also used to have certain time goals. Both for individual legs, and for races overall.
Lately, though, my goals have had more to do with placing, and subsequently qualifying. All my training was focused towards that.  Also, now that all of my PR days are behind me, I really don't get into time goals that much. It's more about competing for masters or age group placings.
Not This Kind of Goal
The PR thing is something I've come to grips with. Everyone always wants to get faster.  Now I never will.  I really hadn't thought about it much until my wife started running about 4 years ago.  She can set PR's. Her friends can set PR's. I was able to set PR's in triathlon until now.  Since I ran in college, and did a marathon right after college, I came to grips with not being able to set any more running PR's since, oh about 1995.

Honestly, until this year I thought I could still set PR's in triathlon. But I've realized now that I will never be faster than a 4:13 for a Half Iron, and a 9:29 for a full Ironman. I think I'm ok with that. There are still other things to accomplish. I can still have other goals. I mean I've managed to not get divorced. So there's that.
#BuzzwordBingo
So without further ado, the extensive, comprehensive, exhaustive, all-encompassing list of my 2018 Triathlon Goals:

1. Win my Age Group at an Ironman 70.3 event
2. Don't Embarrass myself at the Ironman 70.3 World Championships (yet again)
3. Stop Drinking Beer*

I think that covers it. Thanks for tuning in.
*Ha! LOL. Just kidding. The only reason I do tri's is to drink beer ;-)