Thursday, January 11, 2018

2017 Year in Review

My training in 2017 was down a bit this year.  I wasn't training for a full again, and again focused on the Half distance.

Everything was going pretty well until August when I strained my hamstring. That brought things to a screeching halt.  
July was once again my biggest month.

SWIM:
Yards: Unknown. See last years post.
Time: 149:03 (Up 10 hours from last year, Yeah!)
Biggest Week: August 28th (4:47) 3 pool swims and a OWS
Biggest Month: July (16:40) Chatt Worlds had me motivated.



BIKE
Distance: 3,677.6 (Down 26% from last year) More Trainer time.
Time: 213:35 (Down 20% from Last year)
Biggest Week: 206 Miles August 14th
Biggest Month: 609 Miles in July
Longest Ride: 85.5 Miles on July 22nd

Wow really down a lot from last year. And 2016 I was down from my ironman training years. I think I need to get some more miles/time in this year.  I really tried to take time to recover, but that didn't seem to work any better at the end of the year.  Just need to go back to hammering the miles to get stronger.


RUN
Distance: 1,132.3 Miles
Biggest Week: 47 Miles August 14th
Biggest Month: 155 miles in April
Longest Run: 15 Miles (3 Times)
A bit of a dropoff from last year. But after Chatt Worlds, I took 2 months completely off from biking and running due to my hamstring.  That really affected those overall numbers.

TOTALS:
Time: 507:50, down from 555:59 (down 9% from last year)
Biggest Month: July 62 hours
Biggest Week: July 17th with 18:43

In 2017 I again got the Ironman Brand 70.3 All World Athlete Gold. My ranking wasn't as high as last year, since one of my races was the World Championships.  Obviously don't get as many points for that abysmal placing.  So I was ranked 45th in the world and 23rd in the US in my age group.
Chattanooga 70.3
2017 USAT Score was a little lower with year with a 94.238 but my local rankings were better as I moved to the 45-49 age group. I was once again #1 in South Carolina and #2 in the entire Southeast Region.  My national ranking slipped from last year to 87th this year.
Boulder 70.3
2017 had it's ups and down. So close to that first AG win at Chattanooga, losing by 34 seconds. Then finished the year straining my hamstring and having another horrific 70.3 Worlds race. In between I had a lot of fun races. I was happy with Boulder 70.3 and the trifecta: Podium, Worlds Spot, and TriClub Award.  It was fun to do a charity swim and another beer mile as well.
Ironman 70.3 World Championships in Chattanooga, TN
So what does 2018 hold? More Ironman 70.3's, a race I have to fly to, and a World Championships. Actually that sounds exactly like my 2017. Also hopefully I will not embarrass myself at 70.3 Worlds this year. Wait, that was exactly like 2017 as well.  Whatevs. The TriClub Championships at Florida 70.3 will be amazing, as we will have over 60 BSR's racing. I will also do my first International Race, and my first Trip to Africa. Pretty stoked about that. Man, I'm ready to get this party started!
Awards Haul