Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Triathlon Charities

So by now everyone has paid their taxes for the year.  And you're thinking "Why do I have to pay so much in taxes?"  Or maybe you're not thinking that and you wish to pay more.  Well, you could do that, but instead, I prefer to decide where more of my dollars are going.  I like to direct some of my monies to charities instead of the Federal and State governments.  Its a win/win.  Give money to whom I choose, give less to Uncle Sam, and feel good about it in the process.  (Maybe that's a win/win/win?)  Anyways I digress . . .

There are thousands of charities out there, but since this is a triathlon blog, I'll keep these triathlon related.  There are probably thousands of triathlon charities as well.  But for this blog I'm going to keep it to my top 5.  These are just 5 of my favorites, and ones that I have personally contributed to.













Bubbles for Bears Link
I found out about this charity because of my fellow Big Sexy Racing teammate Brad.  He is the owner of OSC Wines.  You know them: the distributors of Big Sexy Cabernet and Sparkling wines.  Anyways, he started Bubbles for Bears because of a friend's loss and his daughters love of her teddy bear.  You can read the whole story at the link above.  One great thing about this charity is that you get a bottle of wine!  Hard to beat that.








Miles for Melanoma  (Melanoma Research Foundation) Link
This is another charity that I learned about through a friend.  You can read Nathan's personal story at the link above.  Melanoma is a huge issue that has largely flown under the radar.  As triathletes, we are out in the sun for hours upon hours.  It is important to make sure you are protected.



Team Challenge (Crohn's and Colitis Foundation) Link
Yet another charity because of a friend (well more of an acquaintance, but we're friends now). Most triathletes have seen the Team Challenge kit around big races.  Many people get into races by doing fundraising.  Last year, I got involved by supporting someone who was doing their first Ironman at Chattanooga.  It was a lot of fun to follow their progress.











Multisport Ministries Link
I first found out about Multisport Ministries at the (now defunct) Rev3 South Carolina Half race that I did in 2013.  They organized a prayer before the race.  They do a great job of outreach and talking to people about God.  They post inspirational things on Facebook as well that I follow.




Movember Link
By now I think that everyone is aware of the Movember movement to raise awareness for prostate cancer.  I got involved last year when Big Sexy himself, Chris McDonald, was raising money for the charity and was featured in the Men of Triathlon calendar.

So there are just a few ideas on how you can spend your hard earned cash.  I'm not saying you should, but I'm just trying to be an 'enabler', as they say.   Personally I find it fun and fulfilling to support charities.  I think the key is to find one that strikes a cord with you.  Hopefully one of these fine groups above does that.