Saturday, November 1, 2014

The October of Nothing

After Ironman Chattanooga, I needed a break.  Both mentally and physically. It's not just because I was hobbling around like a 97 year old man.  No, I needed a break from 5am swims, and 4am rides and 3am runs.  I also needed some time to sit and reflect on my past race (and to a much lesser extent my past year)
Nutzing

I usually take some time off after my last race of the season.  I try not to burn myself out.  I saw how a lot of people had half marathons, and marathons, and even another Ironman on the schedule before the end of the year.  I guess I just poured so much into September 28th that I really hadn't thought about anything after that.
I tried to visit some Charlotte Microbreweries

In fact the few people that did ask me about anything going on in October, I told them that if it was after September 28th, it was not even on my radar.  I'm like, people have plans for things after 9/28?  I had no idea.  I was lazer focused on that race.  And I think that paid off for me.
Oh yeah. Almost forgot about my Panthers Season Tix

So my outseason (how's that for some tri-dork lingo!) goal for October was nothing.  Literally to do nothing.  Everything in life goes back to a Seinfeld episode.  I wanted to make sure everything was healed up before starting training again.  Mostly, though, I had to get to the point that I wanted to start training again.  I think you have to find what works for you.  Many people think taking that much time off is a terrible idea.  Maybe for them, but not for me.  I think I know myself better than anyone else.  I feel like I kinda know what I'm doing. #Kona2015


So as October comes to a close, I have my bike all ready to ride.  I finally feel like I want to go for a ride and a run.  Even going for an open water swim sounds interesting.  The Pool?  Well not so much yet.  But that will come.

So as we slowly make the next build into 2015, we still have 11 months before going to the Big Island.  When that time comes, I'll be ready.  Now if you'll excuse me I have a hot date.  Oh Green Lightning, how I've missed you so.